WHY NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO LOOK FOR A NEW JOB
How many times have you heard the expression ‘New Year, New Job’? In December, it’s natural to step back and reflect on the last 12 months – life, friends, family . . . and work. You might be feeling that it’s time to move on to professional pastures new in 2022. Perhaps you don’t find your role fulfilling, or maybe you’re looking to transition into a new career. Whatever your thoughts, don’t wait until January to get the ball rolling. Here are 10 reasons why now is a great time to look for a new job.
- There are plenty of job vacancies out there: over 333,000 of them in the three months to August 2021, according to ABS data. Limited migration has led to a major shortage of workers in many sectors, including healthcare, administration & support, retail, and professional, scientific & technical services.
- It’s the festive season, so you may have booked some well-earned days off. Although it may be tempting go into full holiday mode, you have the time. So, refresh your resume, revise your LinkedIn profile and apply for roles that tick the right boxes.
- By looking for work when many are winding down on a summer break, you are showing evidence of determination and motivation – the sorts of personal skills that employers like to see.
- December can be a fun time to network, so head to your local community get-together or to the quiz night at the pub. You never know who you might meet. Just keep the initial contact social. Wait a couple of days before you follow up professionally.
- Some organisations still have money in the recruitment budget at the end of the year. And they’ll be looking to spend it to their (and your) advantage.
- Yes, businesses are still recruiting in December! It turns out that some of their employees have also decided to head to pastures new. Their jobs are open for the taking, and their soon-to-be-ex-employers keen to fill the positions.
- Urgent hiring requirements aside, many organisations enjoy a quieter period in December. Recruiters are likely to have the time to read your resume, answer your questions and schedule an interview.
- You may also be able to secure a contract/casual role to cover someone’s summer holiday leave – a fantastic way to prove your skills on the job and, hopefully, get in through the back door.
- The real recruitment rush starts in January when many job seekers kick start their search. By applying for roles in December, the chances are that you’ll have less competition.
- If you live in the Sydney area, the Optimal Recruitment Job Board has some exciting job opportunities at the moment. At the time of writing this, we are looking for candidates for a variety of roles, including an Accounts Receivable Officer, a Sales Consultant and a Reception/Admin Allrounder.
Make it a December decision – not a New Year’s resolution – to look for a new job. Then breathe a sigh of relief as you head into 2022 in a new role you know you deserve.
If you’re looking to change jobs this December, we’re here! Contact the Optimal Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 02 8416 4181.